Welcome to study in Russia!
Studying in Russia provides you with great opportunities. It is not just the chance to get a high-quality education and a prestigious degree; it is also a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You will get to know about the culture, traditions, language, attitudes and values of the Russian people. The decision to study in Russia will most certainly open up a new world brimful of exciting, captivating and rewarding adventure!
Occupying 17 million square kilometers, Russia is the largest country in the world. It covers around one eighth of the Earth's inhabited land mass and spreads across two continents (Europe and Asia).
The population is 143 million people. Russia is a multiethnic country. Ethnic Russians comprise 80% of the country's population, but the Russian Federation is also home to more than 160 different ethnic groups.
The official state language is Russian. Popular foreign languages that are often included in the secondary school curriculum and widely studied include English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
The Russian Federation or Russia is a federation and semi-presidential republic, wherein the President is the head of state. The President of Russia is Vladimir V. Putin.
The Russian capital and the largest city is Moscow (population more than 11 million people). There are more than 1050 cities in the country; in the European part of Russia the largest cities are Moscow, Saint-Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Veliky Novgorod, Saratov, Tambov, Astrakhan and Stavropol.
Why do students come to get higher education in Russia?
1. To live in a unique country
- Russia is the biggest country in the world in terms of territory.
- Russia is a hospitable and a tolerant country; it is home to 160 different ethnic groups who live together in peace, and followers of all the biggest world religions.
- Russia possesses a unique cultural and historical heritage.
- Russia has no equal when it comes to the beauty of its natural landscapes and diversity of its architectural styles.
- Russia offers great opportunities for participating in sport at the most modern sports grounds and for attending sports events of international status; Russia will host the 2014 Winter Olympics (in Sochi) and the 2018 FIFAWorld Cup.
- In Russia anyone can find a use for their talents and the opportunity to develop their creative abilities; students can get special rates on tickets at museums, theaters, cinemas, galleries, cafes, parks and many other places where they can spend free time with their friends.
- The Russian higher education system is comprised of more than 650 state universities where about 9 million people st udy; more than 210 000 of these come from about 200 different countries.
- Russian higher educ ation offers a wealth of choice from more than 300 medical, engineering, economic and humanities specialties.
- Russian higher education is based on the world-renowned school of fundamental and applied science, at the base of which lie the great discoveries of Russian scientists, which determined the course of developments in world science for many centuries ahead.
- Russian higher education gives the possibility of access to the most modern laboratories and scientific-technical centers.
- Russian higher education guarantees quality and highly competent teaching personnel (on average 80% of professors hold PhD degrees).
- Russian higher education consists of prestigious universities with more than 100 years of history and globally-respected degrees which are recognized all over the world.
- The study of foreign citizens at Russian state universities is up to 80% subsidized by the Government of Russia, making it affordable (the average cost of an academic year, including accommodation in a student hostel, is 2500-4000 USD).
- International students entering a Russian state university through RACUS get all necessary professional support and guidance throughout the whole period of study (up to 7 years).
- The Russian language is one of the key languages of international communication. It is the most geographically widespread language of Eurasia, the most widely spoken among the Slavic languages, and the largest native language in Europe. More than 350 million people can speak Russian.
- Russian is one of six official languages of the United Nations. Russian is the official "language of space". All astronauts learn Russian. Russian tourists travel to all corners of the globe; knowledge of Russian often helps those in the hospitality business to move up the career ladder.
- Russian language is beautiful and unique. Learning Russian will give you the opportunity to read the classic novels of prominent Russian writers in the original - Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov and many others. It will also help you better understand the Russian culture and the mysterious Russian soul.
The Russian system of higher educationHigher professional education (engineering, economic, humanities specialties):
- "Bachelor of Science" degree: course duration - 4 years;
- "Master of Science" degree: course duration - 2 years;
- "Specialist" or "Engineer-specialist" qualification: course duration - 5 years;
- Post-graduate studies (leading to PhD): course duration - 3 years.
- General medicine: course duration - 6 years;
- Sports medicine: course duration - 6 years;
- Pediatrics: course duration - 6 years;
- Dentistry: course duration - 5 years;
- Pharmacy: course duration - 5 years;
- Clinical psychology: course duration - 5 years.
- Internship: course duration - 1 year;
- Clinical residency: course duration - from 2 to 5 years (depending on the specialty and the doctor's wishes);
- PhD: course duration - 3 years.
One academic year in Russian Universities lasts for 10 months (September 1st - June 30th). The academic year is divided into two semesters: the first semester is September 1st - January 25th; the second semester is February 9th - June 30th. At the end of each semester (January and June) students take tests and exams in the disciplines that they have studied. Between semesters students have vacations: winter vacation (2 weeks: from 25th January to 9th February), and summer vacation (2 months: from 1st July to 30th August). During winter and summer vacations students may either stay in Russia or travel home.
Admission requirements for Russian state universities
Applications for study on a foundation course are accepted from 1st March until 1st October. Classes start from 20th September (subject to there being enough students to start a group). It is recommended that students arrive no later than 15th November for study on foundation courses.
Applications for study on main courses (first and subsequent years) are accepted from 1st March until 15th August of each year for passport-holders of visa-free countries and from 1st March until 15th July for passport holders of countries requiring a visa. Classes start from 1st September.
A foreign citizen can be admitted to Russian state university if the following requirements are met:
- for Bachelor's or Specialist's programs, if:
He/she has a document of complete secondary education or any other equivalent document;
- for Master's program, if:
He/she has a "Bachelor's degree" or a "Specialist's degree" with the course duration not less than 4 years;
- for postgraduate studies (PhD), if:
He/she has a "Master's degree" (with the course duration not less than 2 years) or a "Specialist's degree" with the course duration not less than 5 years
- for postgraduate medical studies (internship, clinical residency), if:
He/she has a degree of higher medical /dental/pharmaceutical education.
The requirements for educational documents of foreign citizens are based on the requirements and legislation of the country that has issued these documents. If a foreign citizen has educational documents that permit him/her to enter university in his/her country in a desired specialty, he/she is also able to apply to a Russian university.
All foreign citizens who enter Russian universities through RACUS are enrolled to study on the basis of entrance assessments (interview, testing), but on a non-competitive basis and without entrance examinations. Exception is made for the specialties of culture and art, where students are required to present artwork and/or demonstrate creative ability.
Life and Health insurance
Life and health insurance is obligatory for any foreign citizen arriving to the Russian Federation for studies. The cost of life and health insurance amounts from 160 USD to 250 USD for one year and depends on the chosen program of insurance.
So, the choice is yours. You have the opportunity to get an in-demand profession, build your future career, to make lifelong friends and to broaden your cultural, intellectual and personal horizons. Surely everyone dreams of these things? You only need to understand who you want to become and where you want to study; then you are ready to make your first step towards high-quality and affordable higher education with RACUS!
Don't miss your chance! It's all in your hands! It's time to study in Russia!