UK - Study & Work

  March 2, 2016
UK - Study & Work

United Kingdom (UK) Overview:

The UK, a leading trading power and financial center, is the third largest economy in Europe after Germany and France. The UK is an active member of the EU, although it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union.

  • Year of EU entry: 1973
  • Member of Schengen area: No
  • Political system: Constitutional monarchy
  • Capital city: London
  • Total area: 244 820 km2
  • Population: 61.7 million
  • Currency: pound sterling
  • Listen to the official EU language: English

The United Kingdom (UK) consists of England, Wales, Scotland (who together make up Great Britain) and Northern Ireland. The UK's geography is varied, and includes cliffs along some coastlines, highlands and lowlands and many islands off the coast of Scotland. The highest mountain is Ben Nevis in Scotland which reaches a height of 1 344m.

The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy. The main chamber of parliament is the lower house, the House of Commons, which has 646 members elected by universal suffrage. About 700 people are eligible to sit in the upper house, the House of Lords, including life peers, hereditary peers, and bishops. There is a Scottish parliament in Edinburgh with wide-ranging local powers, and a Welsh Assembly in Cardiff which has more limited authority for Welsh affairs but can legislate in some areas.

Study In Uk

Higher education often begins with a three-year bachelor's degree. Postgraduate degrees include master's degrees, 1-2 years and either taught or by research, and the doctorate, a research degree that usually takes at least three years.


International students generally study from Level 4 (approximately 1st year University) through to Level 8 (PhD).

A spouse /dependants visa is available for study from Level 7.


The main intake for UK universities is September/October. However some Universities offer courses starting in January/February as well. Undergraduate students: Applications to all undergraduate courses are filled through Universities and Colleges Admission System or UCAS

Admission Criteria

Undergraduate: For academic subjects, you will need a senior high school certificate. For vocational (i.e. career based) subjects, professional qualifications and relevant work experience will also be considered. You will also need a minimum English level equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or a Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE).

If your qualifications from your own country are not sufficient for direct entry to university, you can bridge the gap by taking A levels or a University Foundation Course.

University Foundation Courses are also known as University Foundation Programmes or International Foundation Years. They take less than a year to complete and enable successful students to progress to a university degree course. Some programmes provide guaranteed entry on successful completion.

Students study a range of topics and skills related to the subject they want to take at university (e.g. computing, business, engineering etc.). Foundation courses are often assessed on course work rather than exams. However, you will only be able to study at one of the universities that recognises the foundation course you take.


  • Attested copies of X, XII & Graduate Degree (if applicable), Mark Sheets including Backlogs (Re-sits)
  • Evidence of English Language proficiency e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
  • Standardised Tests e.g. GMAT, GRE (where necessary for the programme)
  • Two academic references
  • Two references from employers (where applicable)
  • Passport sized photographs
  • Statement of Purpose (SOP)
  • Resume/CV
  • Draft for application fees, if applicable
  • Portfolio (for Art, Design & Architecture programme)
  • Other Certificates & Achievements of Extracurricular Activities

Visa Requirements


You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you're 16 or over and you:

When to apply

You can apply from 3 months before the start of your course.

You'll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.


It costs £328 to apply for this visa from outside the UK.

You must pay £328 per person for any dependants.

You'll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you'll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:

  • up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months

How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you're doing and what study you've already completed.

Working In Uk

Working while Studying

You are allowed to work while studying if you study at a university or college that is listed on both the official UKVI Sponsor list and the list of 'recognised bodies'.

International students who study a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at a recognised university are allowed to work part-time during term term for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during the holidays.

If your course is at a lower level, you study at a further education college or your institution is not listed on the lists above, you will not be allowed to work during your studies.

Work after study

Non-EU students who wish to remain in the UK after they have graduated must apply for a work visa from UK Visa and Immigration. Tier 2 (General) Visa is the primary visa to remain and work in the UK after your studies and you must apply with a Job Offer within 60 days of course completion and the job must meet minimum salary criteria (minimum £20,800). Tier 2 Visa is for 3 years and extendable.

Enquire Now